12 September 2009

Postcard of a Painting

I spent this past Labor Day weekend, stripping wallpaper and painting in my bedroom. Just one wall. But it's funny how a little paint can make all the difference. I moved the furniture around too and it seems like a completely different space now. The warm caramel colour on the wall and the new cozy configuration with the bed facing the TV, and the desk with the computers by the window, mean I'm really enjoying spending time in here now. But they mean something else too. For one thing, I probably wouldn't have gone to all the trouble if I thought I'd be moving out into my own place anytime soon. I'd lived with that odd tropical wallpaper all this time, knowing this wasn't really my room. I was still just a guest in my parents' house. A tenant perhaps. But now this is no longer the case. I'm here for the foreseeable future. So I may as well get comfortable. Yesterday I started putting the shelves back up (and watched some re-runs of Sex and the City). Today I finished the shelves and did some more adjustment with the furniture. All my stuff is back in here now so I've officially finished the project. There are a few odds and ends I need to do. Touch up the ceiling where I had a bit of a slip with the paint roller, etc. But by and large, it's done.I'm going to look for a new bedside table since I moved the dresser I used to use across the room to hold the TV. I've got a few ideas in mind and went to West Elm yesterday to check them out. I'd like to have more of a proper bedside table with a drawer or two that I can stash things in. For now, I've put my old TV stand there, just to hold my clock and radio and small lamp within reach. It's too short to serve that purpose permanently though since the bed is so high.
Now that I've moved everything and it's not against that wall, my lovely painting handiwork really stands out. Originally I had put my comfy Todd Oldham La-z-boy chair next to the bed. That way I could watch TV from my bed or the chair. But I moved it back towards the dresser. It's just a smidge too big to leave it in the aisle. My poor chair seems always to be the odd man out. Just because the room could stand to be a bit bigger.


I still love the chair though, and I figure I can always move it around to face the TV later on if I feel like it. We work with what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment