14 March 2010

Medication


This weekend I started on a couple of new medications. Fish oil capsules and Temazepam to help me sleep. Sleep has always been a big issue. But lately it's been getting worse. Mostly because of my new job schedule. Getting up at 4a.m., commuting 80 miles each way, and working 10 hour shifts. My usual meds, Fluoxetine (Prozac) and Lamotrigine, don't seem as effective anymore. I'm feeling irritable and wanting to avoid people. My therapist and my psychiatrist say it's to be expected after such a long time. Fluoxetine especially tends to taper off in effectiveness over time. They call it the Prozac Poop-out. It's always hard for me to discern how well these things work. Am I less depressed, more depressed? Is it due to circumstances, or just chronic re-occurance? And if I can't be sure, it must be doubly hard for my doctors to know exactly what I need. But I have to trust them. And I do. So far the sleeping pills seem to help. I haven't started increasing my Prozac dosage yet. So it'll be some time before I can see if there is a difference with it. For now, I can only follow the instructions for my prescriptions. And see if that balance will be any closer to returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment