03 September 2010

Blue


So after all the trying and towing MINIfir around seeing if there was any possible way to get her a new transmission, my efforts fell short. MINIUSA agreed to give me 30% off the parts, but it was still $8000 I didn't have.

What next then? I went back to Desert MINI to pick up my MINIfir and take her home. Finally I admitted that it was probably time to start thinking about a new car. During the six weeks I'd been without MINIfir, I had considered it. I'd even test driven that new Hyundai Genesis coupe; a nice car definitely. I considered other small cars, more down market granted. But in the end, none of that made sense. Really, I couldn't tell what made the most sense anymore. All I knew was that I couldn't bear to be without a MINI.

So Bob, the service guy at Desert, told me to come in and pick her up, but that Tony the GM of the dealership wanted to work with me personally to see if I could find something new, maybe a 2009; they had a few of those left. So I came in on Friday. And Bob called for Tony, but he wasn't available. So they told me not to go anywhere, and I ended up sitting in the service waiting area watching several episodes of Spin City.

Finally I was introduced to Dennis. He showed me around the lot; we looked at 2010s because the only 2009s left were MCSs or convertibles. I found one I was drawn to; a Horizon Blue Cooper with a black roof. It had the premium package (including the sun roof, an upgraded stereo and auto A/C), and a few other nifty bells and whistles. I took him for a test drive. Yes, I'd already decided, he was a boy. I had Dennis and the financing guy work up some numbers if I wanted to buy or lease. Then I had MINIfir towed home.

Later that day Dad said, "So I see MINIfir is back." Yes, I said. I needed some more time to figure out what to do with her. I showed him the printout of the numbers on the new MINI. We discussed pros and cons of leasing vs. buying. And that night I went to bed trying to decide.

In the morning, I knew what I wanted to do. I had even picked out a name already. He would be called Rory. I drove to the dealership to ask any last questions I had about the deal. I stood in front of him. Hello Rory, I thought.

I didn't expect that I'd actually get it all done and take him home. I still had John and Pedro's car, the Buick they'd so graciously let me borrow. But Dennis and the finance people got me all set up. I drove the Buick back to my house, and about 45 minutes later, Rory was delivered right to my driveway.

The next day, I called up Pedro to see if he and/or John would like to come pick up their Buick. And I pulled MINIfir out of the garage and took some pictures of them together. Big sister and little brother. I knew they wouldn't be able to stay together forever. But for this short shining time, I had my old love, and my new baby, both blue, side by side.

I began to slowly remove MINIfir's personal accouterments; badges, stickers, dangly mirror decorations, the contents of the boot and the glovebox, and finally, her British plate. Some of the things I could use for Rory. Some little bits big sis could donate to him. Other stuff I'd just put into storage and keep. I didn't and still don't want to think about what will happen to her when we finally say goodbye. But she will never be forgotten. She will always be my first MINI.

No comments:

Post a Comment