04 March 2012

I'm a Believer

Me and George with Gary Carter  in 1986

The rule of three is something someone made up because it seemed like any time a famous person died there are always two more soon after. Weirdly though, it seems to bear out. This time it was three people gone before their time, which is always so sad. Whitney Houston, age 48, Gary Carter, age 57, and Davy Jones, age 66. 

Gary Carter was the one I had the most personal connection to. A Hall of Fame catcher for the New York Mets, Gary lost his fight with brain cancer on February 16th at only 57 years old.  The one they called "Kid" handled the Mets gifted young pitching staff and helped lead the Mets to their last World Series Championship in 1986. My brother and I were lucky enough to get to meet him that winter at an autograph signing. He was gracious and kind, and giving of his time to all the kids that came to see him. Those who knew him well say he was not just a Hall of Fame player, but a great all around person, a class act all the way. He will be missed. The Mets will wear a patch with his number 8 in memory during this upcoming 2012 season.  Spring training is well underway, and I'm sure Kid Carter is on the minds and in the hearts of the players on the field and the fans in the stands. 

We also grew up watching the Monkees TV show; as kids we didn't know how contrived it was. I remember watching it at my grandparents house during our summers with them in California.  The Monkees sang "I'm a Believer" which was written by Neil Diamond, who we of course love. When I hear it, I think of them both. Davy Jones was only 66 when he died earlier this week, the same age my dad is right now. It's hard to fathom sometimes. People die everyday. Many much too young. And some seem to keep kicking forever. It goes to show how little control we have of things. 

Even though both my sets of grandparents lived into their late 70s or early 80s, I have often thought that I might not live to such a ripe old age. With all the family history of various illnesses (breast cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.), plus my struggles with depression, I figure my time will run out too soon. I'm okay with that, I guess. What matters is that we make the most of the time we have, try to be a positive influence, make a difference in the lives of others. I don't know that I'll get there. I still feel like I've yet to write my book. Hopefully, I still have some time. But if not, I know I have friends and family whose lives have been touched by mine. I'm grateful for that. Beyond that, anything else is a bonus.

.........................................

This has left me feeling kind of bummed out so I will add some cheer. Wednesday was Leap Day and spurred on by 30 Rock, I took part in a new Leap Day Tradition. I wore blue and yellow, and tweeted the following picture of me and Kenneth (with his Leap Day bow that I made) to @nbc30Rock for their Leap Day William contest. I didn't get chosen to be on the website, but I don't feel that bad about it. I think they chose randomly, as when I looked at the slide show on the 30 Rock webpage, there seemed to be a picture of someone's dinner they were cooking. It looked like paella. Obviously, not Leap Day appropriate. Some of the other pictures were pretty lame too. Oh well. See you in four years!


No comments:

Post a Comment