17 May 2009

Fix You

This weekend I took my car in to the shop to have some work done on her suspension. She's been needing her front control arm bushings replaced for about a year, and it's just now that I've had the money to get it done. Turned out other bits of her suspension had been wearing out too, the right side motor mount and torque mounts had to be replaced. I also needed new rear brake pads since my sensor light had been on for about 6 weeks. I still have a few minor things to take care of, like the automatic lock in the driver's side door, and strangely, the third brake light mounted on the back hatch has actually disappeared! No one can figure it out yet. It was just suddenly not there when I got home from work Thursday night.

As much as I love my car, it's always a cringe-worthy moment when you learn how much these repairs will cost. Fortunately I have a reputable shop with great mechanics who specialize in British cars. They take good care of MINIfir and are up front about which repairs are essential and which things can wait until I have some more money coming in. Unlike the dealership, they don't act like if I wait to get something done, my wheels will fly off or something.

Now that I've taken care of the big stuff, I feel much better, and I'm sure MINIfir does too. I've got a plan, once I've taken care of the other minor issues, to accelerate my payments and get my loan payed off as quickly as possible. Then MINIfir will be mine free and clear. True, she'll be 6 years old by then, and she'll still be needing regular repairs and maintenance as she ages, but I will feel so proud that I bought her, ordered from the dealer, and have cared for and fed her, and paid her off little by little, and finally will really be her owner.

I can't explain what it means. But she is the best and biggest, most expensive and most important thing I own. And I love her. So when she's broken I fix her. And she fixes me in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment