09 May 2009

Mr. (Tech) Writer

I've been asked more than once: How did you get into tech writing? And the answer is always "by accident." And it's true, I remembering hearing about such a thing as technical writing classes at BYU where I was completing my Master's in Creative Writing. The two could not be more different. What could one possibly have to do with the other? Why would I ever need or want to know about tech writing?

As it turns out, that's how I make my living. It has been for the better part of 5 years now. Well, in between layoffs and whatnot. But basically I fell into it when I first moved to Vegas, and my mom suggested I visit the local JobConnect office, and the nice lady there called me and said, "Well with your writing skills you might be interested in this job with Red, inc." It was for tech editing, and an easy editing test later, I had a job that paid way more than I ever thought I'd make. Teaching pays a pittance in comparison. Teaching was what I'd been doing since grad school, and I enjoyed it, but without a PhD. it'd pretty much never be a steady gig. I got one night class assignment at Nevada State College, but most of my employment was to be found in the tech writing sector. My first job, as an editor on the Yucca Mountain Project was pretty easy. I didn't do any writing there though. Just proofing, and checking references and style guide compliance. After a few months, I was shuffled off to other projects which could only be referred to as busy work. Sorting old emails, things like that. I was still getting paid the same though, so I didn't mind it. And then the first layoff came. I found that the life of a tech writer is not so much easier than the life of a novelist or essayist or journalist. Moving from gig to gig. Working as a contractor or a subcontractor, with no benefits and no security.

After a few more short term assignments, and a brief job in journalism (which I loved and was devastated to get layed off from), I landed at Upper Deck as a technical writer. To be honest, I had never really done any technical writing until I got there. I had to start from scratch with most of the documentation. And I had to do it all by myself. It was a challenge, but I found I could shape the job to suit me. I liked the company and my co-workers, and settled into my role. I created a bunch of different types of documents, policy and procedures, work instructions, etc. I joined STC, and tried to learn more about my accidental profession. And though the work was hardly the most interesting, it was diverse, and I had room to work on other things. I founded a company newsletter. I was enlisted for the communications committee, and I did my best to talk to folks who worked in all the different departments. I was in a unique position of being able to bridge the two sides (office and warehouse). I took internal communications really seriously and tried to help everyone have a voice.

And then suddenly, after two years, I didn't have one. My position was eliminated. It seemed what I was doing wasn't so important to the bottom line, so all the other value it had was secondary. I never saw it coming. And it knocked me for a loop.

I landed on my feet pretty quickly, finding a job writing business plans. It didn't end up being a good fit, and business slowed enough that I could anticipate it coming to an end quickly. The economy was collapsing in all sectors. Layoffs were rampant, but I felt that my options were open. I was versatile, I could go back into teaching, or try journalism, perhaps in the online environment which is where it's at these days. But since I'd only dipped my toe in the various areas, I didn't have the depth required to compete against all the other out of work professionals in those fields.

I searched for six months, had a few interviews and then finally landed back in technical writing. This job, with another government contractor, may be temporary too. I'm in a 6 month casual appointment. But there's a chance it could become a permanent hire situation. And it's really technical. More so than what I was doing at Upper Deck. So now I must really become what I've been flirting with all this time. Not to mention the fact that somehow I've been elected president of my STC chapter.

Obviously I'm really grateful to have this job. The people all seem really nice, and I'm glad to be on a team again. I just hope that after all the bits and pieces of jobs that I've done, I've at least accumulated "enough education to perform." And that one day I'll feel like a like an actual professional tech writer. And then whatever other writing I can do on the side will be a bonus. I want to stay versatile, because you never know about work these days. No one is secure. And I'm finally getting used to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment