07 August 2009

Queen of the World



Ida Maria is my new hero. I saw her last Friday at House of Blues opening for Glasvegas and she was pretty wow. I've been listening to her music since I heard her on BBC 6 last year and when I saw she was coming with Glasvegas, I was excited to see her. She's such a lively great performer. Yes, that's part of it. But there was something else. She just had this attitude. Like my arms aren't totally toned, and I have bruises on my legs from falling down, but I still rock. Well, I doubt those are her actual feelings, but she does rock. That part is right. And she just radiated this inner confidence and the willingness to totally make fun of herself. She just had a great energy. I've never been great at reviewing music. As much as I love and get so caught up in a great live show, I find verbal description difficult. So I don't do reviews. Just impressions. I went to the show with my friend Kristie who hadn't heard either band before. I was anxious to know what she thought. I think she thought they were both cool which I was glad about. I just wish the H.O.B. folks hadn't cut her off before she did her last song, which I'm guessing would've been "Oh My God." They were closing those big quilted curtains they have there. And Ida gasped, "Thank you. I hope you liked that." I did.




Which brings me to Glasvegas. They were pretty great too. But my overwhelming feeling after the show was that it was so wonderful to see a young band from the U.K. on their first big tour of the States. Not yet jaded, just taking in the fact that it is all happening. James Allan, the band's singer, didn't let a moment go by without showing his love for the crowd. He seemed amazed that he was here on stage in this strange town (which partially gave the band their name) and people were singing his words back to him. I imagine this is a heady feeling for any performer. But never before have I seen the guy on stage taking in the love and returning it so immediately and earnestly. At least not that I can remember; I've been to so many shows. But it made the show fresher, more of an event. And I can't neglect to mention the awesomeness of Caroline McKay's stand up drumming. Another gal who totally rocks.

And I'm still singing...


"I'm Queen of the World, I bump into things....I spin around in circles...and I'm singing"

No comments:

Post a Comment