29 November 2009

Neighborhood

This week another LV Metro officer was laid to rest. Officer Trevor Nettleton was killed in an attempted robbery at his home. His wife, two children and mother were all in the house when an assailant entered his garage where he was working. Officer Nettleton was able to wound one of the gunmen and the perpetrators were captured soon after. This death hit us all particularly hard as Trevor was a member of my brother George's squad. George rode with Trevor on patrol many times and learned a lot from him.

Officer Nettleton lived in North Las Vegas, just a few blocks away from my friend Chuck. Chuck was not surprised by the incident. He had witnessed the S.W.A.T. team conduct a raid on his next door neighbor's house last year. They were apparently conducting weapons sales from the home. One of these weapons could have been sold to one of the street gang members involved in Officer Nettleton's murder. You just never know what's going on in your neighborhood. I've been to Chuck's house a few times and his seemed like your average suburban street.

As we just had Thanksgiving, I know that I'm thankful that all my family members are safe. And I'm thankful for the men and women of the police department who are looking out for us everyday. I pray for their safety also. Especially my brother, but also those he works with, and those he doesn't. And even that Henderson PD officer that gave me a speeding ticket on Tuesday. It's such a hard job they do. And they all deserve our respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment