28 February 2010

Add it Up


Okay, so I went on a semi-unintended shopping spree yesterday. I'll explain. I have been planning what to do with my tax refund, plus the money I'd saved up. I had a few different options worked out. One option was a new laptop and maybe the Burberry hobo I've been contemplating. I'd keep aside some money to get the work done on my car that I might need.
Second option, either laptop or Burberry, save for work on car and for a possible trip to London this summer. Either would be great! And I've worked hard. I feel I deserve some reward. Right?

So yesterday I go to the new City Center to check out the shopping. I definitely wanted to do some major browsing, in LV, Hermes and Bottega Veneta. And then I'd maybe get myself a little treat from Paul Smith. Some socks or a small accessory. But I definitely would not be buying a bag.

So I park at Bellagio and take the little tram over to Crystals, which is what they call the City Center shopping plaza. It's pretty impressive architecturally. All glass, metal(aluminum or steel, not sure) and smooth white stone walls. High ceilings and winding stair cases inset with wood panelling to match the bistro on the middle level. It kind of reminded me of an airport at first. But it started to grow on me. The exits to the outdoors led to open air passageways, most with a large scale art piece at its center. The exits going out to the strip give pedestrians options to continue on the grounds of City Center, continue to the Monte Carlo, or across the street to the Miracle Mile at Planet Hollywood. So much shopping in so little space.

Speaking of which. I find it amazing that such a smallish city like Las Vegas can host not just a handful, but most of the world's most prestigious fashion and accessory houses. All on the Strip, within about 2 or 3 miles of each other. We're used to Louis Vuitton being everywhere. Just in Fashion Show Mall alone, you can buy LV at Neiman's, Saks and in the LV store. Then across the street at the Wynn, another LV store. And across from that in the Palazzo, another LV store. I'm not even sure how many LV stores are on the Strip. I know there's one in the Bellagio, and now at Crystals. There are probably others. Oh yeah, I think there's one at Caesar's Forum Shops. There are at least two each of Burberry, Dior, Fendi, Bally, Bottega Veneta, Prada, Miu Miu. At Crystals there are a few that have yet to open, including Prada, Mui Mui, Dior, Pucci and some others. It's an orgy of designer goods. And of course it's concentrated in the few square miles where most of the money is spent in the entire state of Nevada. Perhaps in the entire southwest. I didn't even mention the jewelers. Bulgary, Van Cleef and Arpels, H. Stern, Tiffany & Co., Harry Winston, etc. I don't even think about those because my thing is handbags. It's just a fact that the designers don't design for a woman my size. I can only look at the clothes.

Anyway, I popped into Paul Smith, and was rejuvenated by the color. You can always count on Paul Smith for great stripes, patterns and color. I moved to the women's section in the back and met a lovely English salesman. We had a nice chat about minis and British fashion and I looked at the pretty scarves and socks. I picked up a couple of pairs for myself, then I headed out to look at the men's socks. I even got a compliment on my Anna Scholz trench from one of the other sales guys. I told my salesman how I'd purchased some before for my brother and he loves them. After a bit more chat, he rang up and wrapped my new socks. And I sauntered out, very pleased with my little treat.

I ducked into a few other shops to have a peek around. And then into Bottega Veneta, to check out the new colors for spring. I'd looked at their web site the night before to see if there was any little accessory I might be able to treat myself to. I found a little case I liked for $650. I thought, yeah it's beautiful stuff, but for that I can get a whole bag someplace else. I thought I'd have a look at it in person though. And then I met Steven. I made the mistake of telling Steven that I was a bag person. He knew he had me on the hook. I could've been polite, looked at a few bags, said thank you and left. But for some reason, I couldn't. Steven kept showing me things I liked. And so reasonably priced too. Yeah, for Bottega. It never occurred to me that I might one day buy a bag for almost $2000. When I got my Chloe Paddington at Neiman's last call, that was the most expensive bag I had even considered. It retailed at around $1800. But I got it for less than half that. A bargain certainly. I'd still never paid over $1000 for a bag. Marc Jacobs, on sale, Burberry, on sale, Pucci, on sale of course.

I had settled in to a nice comfortable place. I concentrated on more moderately priced and new up and coming designers; Hayden Harnett, Cole Haan, Rebecca Minkoff, Treesje. I've been eyeing a couple of Botkiers lately too. And then Alexander McQueen killed himself. And I looked again at his stuff. Maybe if there was any time to splurge, this might be it. Or maybe I could stretch myself a bit further and go for the Proenza Schouler PS1. Or just that Burberry. It's a steal at $1095. But once you cross the $1000 mark, it's hard not to see it as possible. And my tax refund wasn't that great. Start thinking of too many things, it adds up. At most, I can only really contemplate one of those. But which one?

So there I am in Bottega with my new friend Steven. We've narrowed it down to two bags I like best. A light colored tote (they call it Paille) with some interesting texture, aside from the usual classic intrecciato woven leather. I was told they created it by wrapping sticks into the leather, and then removing them to get his stipple effect on top of the intrecciato. I loved the tote. But then I spotted the hobo. It was different. Intrecciato only as seams and trim in a tie-dyed cigar brown. The body a creamy Ivory but speckled deer leather. I saw it described as perforated. But I don't think it is. It just has that speckled texture. I was looking for something light for spring. I mean I was thinking yellow or pink. And when you go into Bottega, you've gotta go for something bold. Steven has shown me a few bags in a purple (orchid?) and a grey (ash). All very nice. But something drew me to this Ivory bag. I tried it on in the mirror. The assistants all ooh-ed and ahh-ed. Still, I was hesitant. I had only meant to buy small things.

I make the determination. I can't buy this now, I'd need to transfer money first. Steven offered to hold it for me until I can come back. And, when he went for his lunch, he'd bring me a cupcake from The Cupcakery. It was a deal. I headed home to make the transfer online; yes I was decided. I could've just let it go. Steven would put the bag back on the shelf and someone else would buy it. Maybe Melinda the other salesgirl who had her eye on it.

But soon I was on my way back. Parking at Bellagio and getting the tram to Crystals. I strode back into Bottega, and Steven spotted me and smiled. And he had the cupcake waiting for me. He tried to get me to buy the whole set, wallet, cosmetics case, and lanyard along with the bag. But no, I had decided on the bag, I had to draw the line there. He wrapped it up and I came out into the hall with my new purchase, and my cupcake. It was red velvet, my favorite. I found a place to sit down and enjoy it. I opened my shopping bag and realized all the tags had been removed. I popped back into the store and asked Steven if he could write down the info on the bag, style/color etc. He did and also gave me a hefty catalog.

Overall a great experience, and I got the bag too. Was it worth the money? How do you really put a value on things like this? Yes, the bag was expensive. Now I have to shift around my plans for what's left of my tax refund money. Looks like London is out, but then again it's a MINI Takes the States year, perhaps it's best to hold off London for next year. The car repairs, the computer, the Burberry bag? It adds up quick. But there's still time, to think and calculate, and to net another paycheck.



No comments:

Post a Comment