20 June 2010

Sleeping Pills


My doctor gave me a new prescription this week to help me sleep. I've tried many different medications. Some meant to help with sleep, some meant to help with other things but that also cause drowsiness. The latest is Mirtazapine. Before that it was Temazepam, and before that Diphenhydramine. Seroquel worked great as far as helping me get to sleep, but waking up was a bit of a problem. This newest one seems kinda like that. But all the good ones are. Otherwise, they don't help you get to sleep any faster than if you tried on your own.

I have to try taking this one much earlier in the evening. But then, I'll drop off before I've had a chance to do anything. Last night and the night before I ended up taking it and then getting sleepy before I was ready. I'm afraid that if I take it too soon, I'll fall asleep on the bus home and miss my stop.

Friday, my first day after taking it, was pretty much shot. I could barely get myself up and to the doctor for my appointment. And even then it was a bit sketchy. She could tell I was "relaxed" to say the least. On the way home I was going to stop and see my friend Ralph as I often do on the way home from the doctor, but I was just so sleepy, I probably shouldn't even have been driving. I got home and actually went back to bed and set the alarm to wake me up at 4:00 for the Mets game.

"It's just time, they kill," as Brett Anderson sings. The rest of the weekend was just me trying to get as much as I could done in between being too sleepy to get up, or stay up. Hoping not to let them kill too much time. And here I am, Sunday night; I can already feel them working on me now. Will I even make it through this week's episode of Doctor Who?

No comments:

Post a Comment